Plates, Origami and soft slab creations…Oh My!

What new techniques or processes have you learned?

One of the new techniques that I learned was how to make an origami bowl. I did this by starting off with a pentagon shaped piece of paper and then cutting it out. I then made a slab and smoothed it out on both sides to ensure that both sides will be completely even and smooth. I then cut out the pentagon shaped paper onto the slab with a fettling knife. I had to then make a decision on whether I would fold the triangles behind or in front and I decided to fold them behind because to me, it made it look like a flower. I had to score and slip each strip to make sure the connection was strong so that the pieces wouldn’t become unattached from one another.

Another technique that I not so much as learned but rather built on was texturing my slabs with different materials. I had to do this when making my 3-D plate. I used materials such as corn, textured mallets and wires to give my piece some extra detail and to help make it more unique. When doing this I had to first construct a slab and then find the materials. After applying the textures to my desired area, I put my three cut-outs on top the slab and used a fettling knife to cut them out.

With the Liz Zlot Summerfield piece, I had not learned anything new because I worked on them last year and highly enjoyed creating them. I was able to further advance my skill in constructing the soft slab creations and brought in my special touch of adding faces to each side. I use faces that are seen in everyday life; sadness, anger, overjoyed and even a flirty winking face. Each side gets the color glaze that correlates with that particular emotion.

What challenges did you face and how did you overcome them?

I faced many many challenges while making the 3-D plate and at some points I really just wanted to give up. I had 4 separate attempts at making the plate and each taught me something new. In my first attempt, I had not properly scored and slipped the connections so my cut-outs fell off in the drying process. In my second attempt, I had tried to save my work by using tons of water and slip to save it but it was no use. In my third attempt, I had made the plate way to skinny which left it to be wobbly and unsupportive. In my fourth and final attempt, I finally was able to learn from my many mistakes and overcome the task at hand. Sometimes its important to step away from your work when your having problems and really think what you could be doing better. I overcame many challenges from these three different projects and in the end became a more skilled potter and artist!